Want to hear something crazy?? This is Lilly’s favorite smoothie.
If you would have told me three years ago that my daughter would beg me to drink a green smoothie with kale in it, I would have laughed pretty hard. The brilliance of this recipe is:
- You can’t taste the kale
- It tastes like fruit
- It’s green – so your kids will not automatically think all green things are evil and yucky after they try it
- It’s full of freakin’ kale!!!!
A few health benefits of kale
- 1 cup of chopped kale has 9% daily value of calcium, 206% vitamin a, 134% vitamin c, & 684% vitamin k
- It’s a good source of copper, potassium, iron, manganese, & phosphorous
- carotenoids and flavanoids are the specific antioxidants that fight cancer
- lutein & zeaxanthin are great for eye health
- high in fiber
You can see why Kale is called the “Queen of Greens”!!
The fact that her kale smoothie ‘mustache’ matches the stripes in her sweatshirt is a happy accident.
Ok – so are you ready to learn how to turn a big ‘ol piece of raw kale into a delicious treat that your child (and your husband, and yourself) will suck down and ask for seconds??? (Or you can buy the pre-washed and cut organic kale at Trader Joes and skip this step.)
Step 1. Take a large piece of raw kale and wash it off reallllll good. Pat it with a paper towel to let it dry. Then using a knife or your hands, remove the large, hard parts and discard. You are finished with this step when all you have left is the tender, leafy part.
Step 3. Add 1 cup of your favorite apple juice. Combine just these two ingredients (kale & apple juice) until the kale is pureed. Use the highest blender setting for this. It might take a few minutes. You can get your other ingredients ready while the kale is pureeing.
Step 4. Add the following ingredients and blend until smooth:
- 1/2 cup of frozen mango
- 1/2 cup of frozen peaches (slices)
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 cup of strawberry nonfat frozen yogurt
Step 6. Serve up this delicious smoothie to your loved ones!
Green Smoothie with Kale Recipe
- 1 large piece of raw kale, washed and deveined OR 1 cup pre-cut organic kale from trader joes
- 1 cup apple juice + 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen peach slices
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 cup of strawberry nonfat frozen yogurt OR greek yogurt
- First combine the kale and apple juice in the blender until the kale is pureed.
- Add all other ingredients and blend until combined well.
- Serve immediately.
Do your kids like green smoothies? Share your favorite recipe in the comments below!