Green Smoothie with Kale (!)
Want to hear something crazy?? This is Lilly’s favorite smoothie.
If you would have told me three years ago that my daughter would beg me to drink a green smoothie with kale in it, I would have laughed pretty hard. The brilliance of this recipe is:
- You can’t taste the kale
- It tastes like fruit
- It’s green – so your kids will not automatically think all green things are evil and yucky after they try it
- It’s full of freakin’ kale!!!!
A few health benefits of kale
- 1 cup of chopped kale has 9% daily value of calcium, 206% vitamin a, 134% vitamin c, & 684% vitamin k
- It’s a good source of copper, potassium, iron, manganese, & phosphorous
- carotenoids and flavanoids are the specific antioxidants that fight cancer
- lutein & zeaxanthin are great for eye health
- high in fiber
You can see why Kale is called the “Queen of Greens”!!
The fact that her kale smoothie ‘mustache’ matches the stripes in her sweatshirt is a happy accident.
Ok – so are you ready to learn how to turn a big ‘ol piece of raw kale into a delicious treat that your child (and your husband, and yourself) will suck down and ask for seconds??? (Or you can buy the pre-washed and cut organic kale at Trader Joes and skip this step.)
Step 1. Take a large piece of raw kale and wash it off reallllll good. Pat it with a paper towel to let it dry. Then using a knife or your hands, remove the large, hard parts and discard. You are finished with this step when all you have left is the tender, leafy part.
Step 3. Add 1 cup of your favorite apple juice. Combine just these two ingredients (kale & apple juice) until the kale is pureed. Use the highest blender setting for this. It might take a few minutes. You can get your other ingredients ready while the kale is pureeing.
Step 4. Add the following ingredients and blend until smooth:
- 1/2 cup of frozen mango
- 1/2 cup of frozen peaches (slices)
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 cup of strawberry nonfat frozen yogurt
Step 6. Serve up this delicious smoothie to your loved ones!
Green Smoothie with Kale Recipe
- 1 large piece of raw kale, washed and deveined OR 1 cup pre-cut organic kale from trader joes
- 1 cup apple juice + 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen peach slices
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 cup of strawberry nonfat frozen yogurt OR greek yogurt
- First combine the kale and apple juice in the blender until the kale is pureed.
- Add all other ingredients and blend until combined well.
- Serve immediately.
Do your kids like green smoothies? Share your favorite recipe in the comments below!